Friday, January 22, 2016

Buttermilk Pancakes

Ryan Daake


Ingredients
1 cup A.P flour
1 T sugar
1 t baking powder.
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
1 cup buttermilk
⅙ cup milk
1 egg
⅛ cup butter

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. You can flick water across the surface and if it beads up and sizzles, it's ready!
  3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
Overview
Pancakes are like america's breakfast pastime. The main reason I chose pancakes is because I loved the idea of making pancakes as homework. I’ve been eating flapjacks for as long as I can remember so I felt pretty comfortable with making them.
One change I had to make was to cut down the size of the recipe, the original was 3 times the size and yielded 12 large pancakes. I ended up making 5 smaller pancakes. One thing I learned in class that I kept in mind while making them, was that you should flip it once you seen bubbles begin to burst through the center. Ms. Wilson also told me that overflipping can cause pancakes to lose volume and affecting the texture of the product.
All in all, I am very proud of the pancakes I made, and I would definitely do it again. Even though I prefer the crispiness of a waffle, I think a nice light a fluffy buttermilk pancake can just hit the spot sometimes. If I had to change something I think I would decide to add some toppings, I bet some strawberries would taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment