Saturday, January 16, 2016

Apple Crisp Joey Berens


APPLE  CRISP
Ingredients
6 lg. cooking apples peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 c. orange juice 
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. butter softened
1 Tbsp. water

Directions:  Directions:     Prepare apples, peeled, cored and sliced and arrange in a greased 7x11x2 pan. Pour 1/2 c. orange juice over apples, combine 1/2 c. of sugar, and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon and sprinkle over apple slices. combine 1 Tbsp. water, 3/4 c. flour, 1/2 c. sugar and 1/4 tsp. of salt. cut in 6 tbsp soft butter until crumbly. Spoon over apple slices and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 min.
(cited from Recipes from home)


Apple Crisp has been a favorite of mine for years. I love this dessert so much because it takes my favorite parts of apple pie, which is the gooey warm filling and the melt in your mouth goodness of the top crust. The filling in this recipe has a sugar center, but is countered by the cinnamon and tart apples. The crust adds more sugar and sweetness to the apple crisp, making it very sweet, and very delicious.    

In this recipe I used the biscuit method to combine the fats and dry/wet ingredient mixture to create a crumbly topping. The recipe gave a choice between melting and cutting in the butter. I have aways been a fan of cutting in the butter, since it gave the dessert a crumbly sugary topping. To cut in the butter, I used knives to slice it up. I feel that the crust would have been better and more crumbly if I used an actual pastry blender, which would give the even chunks that are needed in the biscuit method. This is most like our pie lab, more specifically the crust for the pie. The layers of fat that made the crust flakey worked similarily to the apple crisp recipe. The butter melted to form flakey layers around the crumbs, givign the dish a crumbly, yet buttery crust.  It terms of how it turned out with my method of cutting in the butter, it went pretty well. I have a strong feeling that the topping would be more evenly buttered instead of the butter chunked up in clusters. Compared to previous versions I have made, the dessert didn't look aesthetically pleasing. Lacking the height that the syrup gives the dessert, it makes the apple crisp very bland looking. The burnt edges around the pan do not help the food look more pleasing.   

This recipe, which was amazing, also held many problems.  I haven't made this recipe for a very long time, so I mistook orange juice for orange juice concentrate, making the syrup EXTREMELY orange tasting. This added a strange, but good, twist to the dish that made it stand out from other versions that I have tasted. The aesthetics were also sub par, and like I explained above, degraded to the crowd pleasing factor. THis recipe taught me that it is essential that you read and use the recipe properly. This can be realted to in class work by showing how time management is improtant to make srue the recipe works. The apple crisp took me almost 2 hours to make since i kept getting distracted, which made the sugar/cinnimon get absorbed into the apple, rather than mixing with the filling. Overall, the sweet flavor of the apples and topping, paired with the tart and tangy filling syrup, makes this apple crisp recipe one that will stay in my cookbook for years to come.   

No comments:

Post a Comment