Sunday, January 3, 2016

Chocolate Chip Scones







Preparation: 
The method I used in this baking adventure was the biscuit method. The biscuit method requires the use of chilled fats to be dispersed throughout the dough. The butter in this lab was the fat that I used and I used a fork to distribute it evenly within my dough to allow the scones to rise when baking. Half of my dough had flour granules in various sizes coated with butter and the other half did not. Gluten can not develop at this point because the flour granules can not bond to water or other flour granules. This is essential to making tender scones. This lab had a lot of ups and downs, but luckily I was able to fix those down moments. I made some interesting significant changes in this lab since I did not have a scale. Instead, I converted the gram measurements to ounces in order to be able to measure the ingredients. I used a measuring cup. It wasn’t the most accurate measuring tool but it’s efficient. I did not have a whisk so instead I decided to use a slotted spoon. My mom bought a whisk for me to use but I was already mostly done with the first part. I don’t have a heavy machine so I used my hands to mix the orange juice into the dough. The next part was almost messed up my scones. I poured water on the dough because it was becoming too sticky. The water allowed my dough to come back together because the dough was very sticky. This enabled my dough to be smooth instead of sticky, but I thought the dough wasn't ready to be shaped and baked. After that, I used a lot of flour to put the dough back together and give it some structure. It ended up working. I moved the dough onto a cutting board to roll it out. That’s when I decided that the dough needs more flour. I moved it back into the bowl and i put a good amount of flour on the dough. After a bit, my dough started to fall apart and lose its structure. The inside became gooey, and the outside became structureless and crumbly. I thought that using more flower would fix the problem but it made it worse. So in desperation I decided to use water again to make it soggy so that I will be able to put the dough back together again. I basically gave the dough a bath because it was really soggy but it wasn’t sticky. I moved it to another bowl, put some flour on it and around it, then I started working the dough again. It gained the structure it had before the mess. I rolled it out, and put it on my already sprayed baking sheet and stuck it in the oven.


Critique: The top and the bottom of the scone was hard. The scone is hard to bite and chew. There is resistance from the top of the scone and the bottom of the scone and also the edges of the scones. The inside of the scones are quite soft. This could be due to the fact that the oven was set to 250 degrees instead of 400 degrees not allowing the scones to bake all the way through. The scones have a nice golden brown color and they are also puffy. They were able to rise while they were in the oven but they did not bake all the way through. The scones had a nice chocolate smell coming from the chocolates melting in the scones while they were in the oven. The scones were quite dry.

Assessment: I would redo this lab because I was able to prepare the dough but the last piece to making the scones the right way was not done very well. Overall I would say that this lab was a success. Due to the fact that I almost messed up the dough, I was able to fix it. Although I wasn’t able to bake the scones properly. The preparation of the dough was a success. I learned that the way that a baking product is baked is just as important as the preparation. Furthermore, I will pay very close attention to the way my baked products are prepared and baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment