Thursday, December 31, 2015

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFM_6ELryDc

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup of AP flower
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Liquid Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • Glass of Buttermilk
Other Ingredients:
  • Bowl of chocolate chips
Directions:
(before starting this,heat your buttermilk and have your griddle, skillet preheated to the appropriate temperature)
  1. Pour all of the dry ingredients into a bowl
  2. Make a little well in the middle by pushing the ingredients to the edges of the bowl, making a circle
  3. Beat up your egg
  4. Pour the egg into the buttermilk
  5. Stir the buttermilk
  6. Pour the buttermilk into the dry ingredients
  7. Begin stirring the liquid with the dry ingredients. Do not stir rapidly
  8. Pancakes are ready to be cooked when they are slightly lumpy
  9. Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes or until it has a golden brown color. Sprinkle the chocolate chips in good portions on your pancakes while they’re cooking
  10. Flip the pancakes and let it cook for 2-3 minutes
  11. Remove the pancakes
Preparation method:
The mistakes were made when preparing the pancakes. The first of my two mistakes was that I did not have the proper measuring tools. The second mistake was that the pancakes kept sticking to the skillet. I applied good amounts of nonstick spray to the skillet but the pancakes continued to stick to the skillet. The method I used to make these pancakes was the Muffin Method. The Muffin Method all dry ingredients to be made and mixed together before all liquid ingredients are added.  
I changed this recipe up quite a bit. I used AP flour and baking powder like the recipe suggested. I added salt and sugar to the ingredients. But, I did not add eggs and buttermilk to the dry ingredients. Instead, I only added milk-two percent milk to the dry ingredients. Lastly, I added the chocolate chips to the pancakes as I was mixing it.  Despite all of my mistakes and changes, the pancakes tasted good. The second mistake affected the structure of my pancakes by a lot because my pancakes were deformed. It could’ve been due to the fact that my stove was turned up high or the kind of skillet I used. I’ve now only made pancakes twice in my life. The first time I tried making pancakes I also made two mistakes or potentially three, I’m not really sure but it was a lot of mistakes. My first mistake is that I did not use the muffin method. I kind of just threw everything together and hoped it would end up as a pancake. So after I threw a bunch of stuff together, I ended up overmixing. In my attempt to fix it, I added a lot of pancake mix to it and then I added too much water. It was a disaster and it did not taste good. With my past experience of making pancakes, I made sure I wouldn’t overmix the pancakes since that was the main problem in my first ever attempt. Overmixing while using the Muffin Method causes gluten to develop, making your pancakes chewy instead of fluffy. Pancakes that have not been overmixed, are coarse and slightly thick when mixing. The existence of gluten for structure and resistance is not good when using the Muffin Method. We learned in class that overmixing baked goods is the most common problem when using the Muffin Method I carefully mixed the pancakes using the same technique the chef was using. When the pancakes were on the skillet, an even number of bubbles were created all around the bubbles. That’s how I know my pancakes were a success despite my structure problem.


Critique:  The pancakes had a buttery taste but they were also pretty sugary. The sugary taste comes from the chocolate chips. The pancakes itself tasted buttery and a little bit salty. I have no idea how the salty taste came about because only a small amount of salt was added to the pancake mix. The pancakes had a buttery and chocolatey smell. The pancakes were very soft like how pancakes are suppose to be. They didn’t have a tough feel and they also weren’t crunchy despite the fact that they kept sticking to skillet.

Assessment: Overall this lab was a success. The whole preparation went well but the execution failed. I learned how to make pancakes the proper way and that’s what’s important. I would try this lab again because the pancakes were delicious and I need to start eating in the morning before school.

No comments:

Post a Comment