Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pizza Critique

During the first week of Baking and Pastry we did an experiment on different types of crusts. So we tasted three different types of crusts. One was thin crust from a frozen pizza, another was crust made from a bag package and the last was homemade white crust. All three pizza only had tomato sauce and cheese topping.

Frozen Thin Crust Pizza
I didn't really enjoy the crust on this pizza. I generally do not like eating thin crust pizzas. It was extremely dense and dry. It was more of a cracker than it was a pizza crust, if anything. It had too much crunch when I bit into it, I like a little crunch but not  like the one I had when eating this. A good thin crusted pizza should have some fluff and softness to it, not like this frozen pizza. There was scarce tomato sauce between the hard browned cheese on top, it did no help from balancing the dryness of the crust. Eating this pizza made me less of a fan of thin crust than I was before. 

Crust from a Bag Pizza
The second pizza I tried out was the pizza from the bag. The crust came out with a grey hue in its color, it wasn't as appealing as it could have been. The crust was crunchy outside and soft inside but was very bland. I couldn't taste much, it pretty much tasted like nothing, there wasn't much flavor going on in the crust. The cheese and sauce didn't do much help in adding flavor. If your looking for a blast of flavors in your mouth, this pizza isn't for you!

Homemade Crust Pizza
The homemade crust pizza had a golden brown crust and cheese. This pizza was most appealing to the eyes. Just by looking at the crust you could tell that there was a small crunch to it. The crust was light and fluffy on the inside, as a crust should be. There wasn't much tomato sauce on the slice I had, so it tasted more like bread with cheese. What I didn't like was the huge amount of cornmeal on the bottom of the crust. It gave a grainy texture and I felt like I tasted more of that than the actual crust.

Out of all the three, I liked the homemade crust pizza the best. The crust wasn't a cracker or and ugly shade. Although there was a lot of cornmeal at the bottom, I would rather have that than the frozen pizza and crust from a bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment