Wednesday, January 30, 2013

During the first week of class, we tried 3 types of pizza. We were told to use the descriptive list of words from the wall as a resource to write our own review of the types of pizza in comparison to one another. I thought this would be a piece of cake. I've always been said to have sensitive taste buds, and this was my chance to show off, in at least one class this year.

For once, I am struggling to find the words to say. I have grown up using good, great, yummy, icky, grody, gross! and delicious. But I'll try my best to describe my lovely experiences with foods while I am enrolled in this class.

We first sampled the homemade pizza, with the cornmeal crust and perfectly melted cheese. It looked lovely, with the little spices on top and the cheese a lovely golden with touches of golden-brown from the warmth of the oven. It was savory in taste, to begin with. It had a rich and soft texture with a just crunchy enough crust and a grainy bottom with cornmeal grains in yellow. The aroma was lovely; a rich and strong sensation that I could hardly wait to taste. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The pizza had a flavorful taste, with some added spices on top for added richness and depth of taste. The savory taste was astounding, and I really enjoyed the slight wheaty undertone taste from the cornmeal.

Next came the pizza with a crust from a bag. This was my favorite, though the homemade was right up there alongside. The pizza looked the same as the homemade, without the cornmeal embedded in the crust. The taste was savory and slightly, enough to make my mouth tingle with flavor. The cheese was gooey, just the way I like it, and the crust  crisp and thick in an appetizing and appealing way. The aroma was a pleasant scent that reminded me of the restaurant where I had the best pizza of my life in Phoenix, Arizona; "Coach & Willie's". Both pizzas alike had a rich scent, clearly of the crust and melted cheese in a pleasant, welcoming way.

The freezer pizza was a sad disappointment. The aroma was nonexistent until I was 6 inches away (and wasn't even good then), and the texture was that of brittle with a thin layer of rubber covering it. Or in this case, processed cheese. I was glad this piece was so thin and easy to get a quick taste of. It tasted the way it looked; close to burnt and overbaked. The cheese was an unappealing orangey-brown, and the crust a sickly pale piece of what I felt had the texture of a pita chip. There was not that much to blog about, as it was a major let-down in pizza. My only consolation for this slice was getting to eat more of the from-a-bag and homemade pizza after I wrote down my thoughts on it.

All in all, this was a great experience, and I hope I get the chance to do another comparison test in the near future, preferably of brownies. Yum! Ooops, I mean, silky richness with a mouth-watering choclate smell!!! :)

Kendra Hour 1

No comments:

Post a Comment