Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sweet and Simple Lemon Tart


Sweet and Simple Lemon Tart


1/4 cupsifted confectioners' sugar



Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
  2. Combine butter with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar in a bowl until smooth; stir in 1 cup flour. Press dough into prepared baking pan; pierce crust with fork in several places to prevent crust from puffing up during baking.
  3. Bake crust in the preheated oven until slightly golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
  4. Whisk white sugar and eggs in a bowl; stir 3 tablespoons flour into mixture and add lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture into baked tart crust.
  5. Bake until filling is set, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool and dust with 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar.




          In class we learned about tarts, when we first began I had no idea what a tart was. After we made mini tartlets I found them quite delicious and decided to make a big tart on my own time at home. To my surprise we already had a full sized tart pan at home. I began the recipe a little after 9 (after work) and ended up finish almost at 11! Speak of time consuming!
           After my tart finally finished baking in the oven, I topped it with raspberries in the center and sprinkled it with powdered sugar, my family was anxiously waiting while watching a movie. I let it cool for 10 mins before I sliced it up and gave each person a slice.
         When I tasted the tart, it was a lot more sour than it was at school (not much of a fan our sour) and it made sense after I thought about it because the tartlets at school were surrounded by dough and there was little filling where as at home, it was a lot of sour filling and not much dough/sweet crust because they were slice. Unfortunately, the crust is my favorite part of a tart or pie so I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Also when I was shopping for the ingredients I only bought one lemon so I could not get enough lemon juice squeezed out and ended up replacing it with the lemon juice that comes in the bottle which may have effected the strong lemon taste of the tart. Lastly, the next morning after it completely cooled it cracked, reading online and looking at other people's blogs online I noticed that many other had the same problem and a few people recommended to add more sugar or bake at a higher temperature.  Overall, if I were to bake at another tart I would make it something other than lemon.



1 comment:

  1. Angie - YES - commercial lemon juice is WAY more potent than fresh lemon juice!!! Fresh lemon juice (or any citrus fruit) typically works with and against leavening agents in baked products and can rarely be tasted. Most of the time, it's the zest of a citrus fruit that gives the final product it's citrus flavor. If you zest to the rind, it can become bitter. And, if you use commercialized lemon juice there are many additives that keep it shelf stable and therefore it packs more of a "punch".

    ReplyDelete