Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sugar Cookies


Sugar Cookies
             For this home baking assignment I decided to make sugar cookies because we have recently been making cookies in class. I found an easy recipe online and tried using skills I learned in class to make them turn out better.
            Making the dough was pretty easy and I remembered the trick of putting the dough in the refrigerator for a while so the dough can become thicker, however, I grew a little impatient and probably should’ve left it in there a while longer. The taste of the final product turned out really sugary although I used the instructed amount. The texture was really crisp edges with a soft center and they turned out chewy. The aroma was so alluring and made the whole house smell of fresh cookies. The appearance of the final product turned out alright, but it could’ve been better. I should’ve left the dough in the fridge longer so they would’ve been thicker. After making the first batch I refrigerated the rest of the dough so the next batch would be thicker. I then took the extra dough and portioned and froze it, like we learned in class, so I can make a fresh batch whenever I would like.
            Using skills I learned in class while making my cookies really took my knowledge of baking cookies to the next level. It also allowed me to identify mistakes I made and allowed me to fix them at the same time.
            
Recipe:
Sugar Cookies
Ingredients-
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions-
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment