Sunday, December 7, 2014

Grandma's Banana Bread

Sydney Poshusta
Baking & Pastry (November Dessert)

Grandma’s Banana Bread
Yields: about 12  (1inch pieces)





Ingredients:

3 mashed bananas
⅓ cup melted butter
¾ cup granulated white sugar
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups flour
1 small pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon for the top of the batter (optional)

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350℉
  2. Mix butter, sugar and bananas together until creamy
  3. Add one egg and vanilla into the mixture
  4. Sprinkle baking soda and salt
  5. Gradually add flour into the mixture
  6. Stir until all combine (about 30 seconds)
  7. Pour batter into a 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray
  8. Bake at 350℉ for 40 minutes.


For grandma’s banana bread I used the creaming method. I combined a fat (butter) with  two sugary products (banana and granulated sugar) until it was smooth. Then I added an egg and vanilla to give it more flavor. I sprinkled in my baking soda and salt in the liquid batter, and then I finally  added in the flour to thicken up the bread. I mixed all the ingredients together for about 45 seconds and then I transferred the batter into a greased loaf pan. I topped it off with cinnamon and let it bake at 350℉ for about 40 minutes.
As I was making this delicious treat, the steps I used in this recipe reminded me of the cookies my group made in class. I was able to implement the skills I learned in class to successfully make this banana bread. For example, I remembered to melt my butter. By melting the butter, I was able to released moisture from the product. I also recognized I mixed my butter and my sugars together like my group did with the cookies. I was able to create more volume and add additional flavor to the bread. Lastly I did not over or under mix the batter. I stayed within the 45-90 second limit.
Overall, the skills that I learned in class did help my product turnout amazing. The banana bread was so moist and it had a beautiful golden brown color to it. I was scared that the batter would overflow in the oven, but it ended up rising nice and evenly. I do not think this recipe could have turned out any better!
___________________________________________________________________

I thought my final product was incredible! The banana bread was so moist that it melted right into my mouth. The rich butter and overripe banana gave the bread a nice balance of sweetness without making me feel sick. I do wish I could have tasted more banana, but it still was enjoyable. I loved how the inside and outside both had different textures. The firm outside had a crispness to it and the inside was much more delicate. Both textures contrasted each other really well. This is a “light enough” dessert that would be perfect for anytime of the day.
My family ate a whole loaf in one day, so I am definitely going to be making this again! I have a couple things I am going to change for next time though. I am going to get ripe bananas. The bananas I used in this recipe were not as ripe as they should have been. I believe this is why it lacked “banana” flavor. All in all I learned how to incorporate the skills I have learned in class at home. I now know why certain items need to be blended together and why it is important to mix batters for only a particular amount of time. I had a lot of fun making grandma’s banana bread and I can not wait to improve the recipe for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment