Tuesday, November 25, 2014

November Blog

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
Ingredients
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Then beat in the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Once combined, add the dry ingredients to wet. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Onto a parchment lined sheet tray, drop batter using an ice cream scoop, forming 2-inch round circles.
Bake for 10 minutes, until baked through. Cookies should be cake-like and light. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.

For this month, I decided to make Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches with cream cheese frosting. I chose to do this recipe because my favorite kind of frosting is cream cheese and I like cookies more soft and almost cake like. For this recipe, I used the creaming method. The goal of this method is to increase the volume of the fat and this is done by sugar acting as an abrasive which creates tiny bubbles. The overall product of the cookies is supposed to have a more fine texture when properly creamed. We have used the creaming method for making a variety of things such as butter cookies and cake batter cookies in class. This recipe did not tell me how long to cream each item, which can affect the overall product in many ways as we learned through our second butter cookie experiment in class. Under creamed cookies turn out crunchy, really buttery, and had a dome like shape to them. On the flip side, over creamed cookies were often bland and super thin. I think that my cookies were creamed "just right" because they were soft, sweet, and had a nice volume to them. When I was preparing, I noticed that I did not have any Apple Cider Vinegar at home and did not have the time or patience to run to the store, so I just left it out. I am not very familiar with this ingredient, but my cookies turned out very sweet and maybe having the vinegar in it would have helped  to balance it. Another thing that might have affected my overall product was I did not have a cookie scoop so my cookies were various sizes. This is a problem because some baked together, and the bigger ones were barely cooked and the smaller ones were very thin and crispy. Next time, I would defiantly make sure my dough scoops were the same size, and maybe even try test baking a few so I can see how much each one spreads. I thought the appearance of my final product looked soft and pale around the edges for most of the cookies. Also, the cream cheese frosting was just oozing out of the sides which made it extra inviting. I thought the taste of the overall product was very sweet and rich, but I wish there was something to balance out the overall sweetness. As for the texture and aroma, the product was very soft and chewy and smelled very tangy and warm. I think I would make this again because it is very different from a traditional cookie and it was very soft and cake like without being too heavy. Through this experiment I learned to really pay attention to detail and make sure I am being consistent with each individual cookie. 

-Emma Anderson
Hour 5 
Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment