Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Waffles

3 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 C. milk
2 eggs

Preheat waffle iron. Melt butter in microwave. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl, beast together milk and eggs. Whisk liquid mixture until just combined. Stir in melted butter. Brush hot waffle iron with butter. Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter onto waffle iron and close to cook. This first waffle will be the tester. Cook waffle until golden brown. Remove to plate and keep warm.



Hong Kong, Pandan, Belgium, and Flemish. What do all of these have in common? They are all types of waffles. Waffles are a classic breakfast in all parts of the world, but for this lab, I made classic American waffles, in the shapes of hearts.

My outside lab was a classic recipe that has been in my family for many years. The method I used was the muffin method which I had just learned in class.

Using the muffin method outside of class was new for me. I didn't exactly know what "beasting" was when I started, but I just went through the recipe using the muffin method, which ended very well.

I found all the ingredients and put them all together the way we learned in class, because I wanted to try to incorporate the methods I learned. the batter was lumpy, which was not how my dad has taught me to make waffles, pancakes, muffins, and cookies. The 1/2 cup was a perfect amount for each waffle, but I put a little extra in a couple, which made a drippy mess on the counter. Other than that, my waffles went according to the recipe very well.

The waffles ended up with a very thick texture, but not as rubbery as I have made them before. They tasted more flavorful than the toaster waffles I was used to, too. They tasted rich, but not sugary or salty. They were fantastic and classic, with a consistent flavor and texture all the way through.  They were golden-brown, except for the one I had made that leaked out; this one was very pale in comparison to the others. There was not a very pungent aroma at all. They tasted the same as the ones my dad had made before, though the mixing method was not as he had taught me. I think he probably taught me to mix it all thoroughly so there weren't pieces of flour and egg bits all throughout. The texture was also the same, and I was pleased with the results.

This was a fun recipe to make with what I had learned in class. I made it again a week later, with the same results. This is an easy recipe that was a perfect Friday night breakfast-for-supper, then a perfect Valentine's Day breakfast for my parents.

1 comment:

  1. How do you think your execution of the muffin method (with more "chunks" in it) affected your final product compared to what you've been previously taught? Similar to your dad's final product? Different? I'd be interested in learning more!

    ReplyDelete